GLOBAL GOALS JAM SCHOOLS 2023
AIS Innovation Center
Main Stage - First Floor
The purpose of the Global Goals Jam Schools Challenge is to inspire and mobilize students to generate social innovation ideas aligned with the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the 2030 Agenda. Specifically designed for students between the ages of 14 and 18 from both public and private schools, the challenge aims to foster a creative and collaborative environment where young minds can address local challenges.
Key objectives of the Global Goals Jam Schools Challenge include:
Inspiration: Sparking inspiration among students by encouraging them to think critically about the world's most pressing issues and how they can contribute to solutions.
Innovation: Promoting innovation and creative problem-solving skills by challenging students to develop new, impactful ideas that address local challenges within the framework of the SDGs.
Sustainability: Emphasizing sustainability and the importance of creating solutions that align with the principles of environmental, social, and economic sustainability.
Youth Empowerment: Empowering young individuals to become changemakers in their communities, instilling a sense of agency and responsibility for positive social change.
Collaboration: Fostering collaboration among students, encouraging them to work in teams and leverage diverse perspectives to address complex issues.
Community Impact: Seeking to identify, incubate, and implement ideas of high impact and social innovation that address challenges relevant to the region or community.
Alignment with SDGs: Ensuring that the proposed solutions align with the Sustainable Development Goals, promoting a global perspective on sustainable development.
Overall, the Global Goals Jam Schools Challenge aims to provide a platform for students to develop their problem-solving skills, nurture their creativity, and contribute to building a more sustainable and equitable future. The challenge is not just an event; it's an opportunity for young minds to actively participate in shaping the world they want to live in.
The thrilling journey towards 2030 took off last Friday, November 17th, marking the beginning of the Global Goals Jam Schools 2023. Young changemakers with innovative visions of the future came together to co-design solutions and transform their cities through the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The event unfolded from 8:00 am to 2:30 pm at the Innovation Center of Altamira International School. This challenge was more than just an event; it was an opportunity for young individuals to design a more sustainable future, using creativity, innovation, and the SDGs as key tools to make a difference. The challenges of the Global Goals Jam Challenge 2023 focused on biodiversity, exploring how schools and communities could become more sustainable and green environments. Themes such as sustainability, biodiversity, circular economy, recycling, ecosystem protection, climate action, and environmental education were integral to the focus. The goal was to empower young people, turn ideas into action, create innovative solutions, and make an impact on the community by addressing local challenges. Participation was essential to inspire and create sustainable change. Teams of up to 5 members per school were formed to join this mission for the SDGs. The future was in their hands!
Results and Impact Generated
The impact generated by the Global Goals Jam Schools Challenge is significant and multifaceted. This transformative event brings together young changemakers with innovative visions for the future, fostering a collaborative environment where they co-design solutions to address local challenges using the framework of the United Nations' Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Here are some key impacts:
1. Empowering Youth: The challenge empowered more than 90 young individuals to become changemakers by providing them with a platform to turn their ideas into actionable solutions. It instills a sense of agency and responsibility in the participants.
2. Innovation and Creativity: Through the lens of design thinking, participants unleash their creativity to develop innovative solutions. The event serves as a catalyst for out-of-the-box thinking, encouraging unconventional and sustainable ideas.
3. Addressing Local Challenges: The 4 challenges presented during the event are aligned with local issues, allowing participants to directly impact and contribute to the betterment of their communities. This ensures that the solutions generated are relevant and applicable.
4. Biodiversity and Sustainability Focus: With a particular emphasis on biodiversity, sustainability, circular economy, and other relevant topics, the event contributes to a heightened awareness of environmental issues among participants.
5. Networking and Collaboration: The event serves as a networking hub, fostering collaboration among participants, schools, and educational institutions. This interconnectedness enhances the collective capacity to address global challenges.